Thursday, January 29, 2015

Letterboxing


About once a month, I try to put aside a little time to go through my shop's stats and check out from where some of the traffic and hits are coming. This month I had a lovely surprise from a very old hobby of mine. It's called Letterboxing and maybe you have heard of it or its cousin Geocaching. Participants seek out hidden letterboxes by following clues that are posted on the Internet. The clues lead to a box with a hand-carved rubber stamp in it and a journal. You use that rubber stamp to log your find into your journal, and then leave an impression of your own personal stamp in the book that remains in the letterbox. Not complicated but a little hard to explain!

When I first started selling on Etsy back in 2008, I was still very heavily into Letterboxing and would also sell my hand-carved stamps in my shop alongside my handmade paper. (I was so into Letterboxing that I even applied for an art grant, based on a project in New Hampshire called Valley Quest, and I have hunted down letterboxes in many states, including Alaska and Hawaii, as well as in Great Britain.)

I haven't made them in years but I incorporate hand-carved stamps into my work every once in a while. I recently added a stamped image to my handmade plantable bookmarks. And just last week, I came across the ghostly stamp shown here that I carved that I would love to add to my current work in some way.


Thanks to letterboxer Jackbear for the mention.
http://lbgear.blogspot.com

And if you would like me to carve you a custom rubber stamp, I would be happy to! Contact me through the link on my Etsy site: https://www.etsy.com/your/shops/PulpArt


No comments:

Post a Comment