Saturday, April 11, 2015

Chelsea and Liam




Since I made all of my wedding invitations by hand, I am always so appreciative of others who do the same. This bride was far more artistic than I ever was but I love how she used my seeded paper in the design of her invitations to her groom, Liam.


When Liam and I got engaged back in September, I started working out ideas for the invitations pretty much immediately. Inspired by vintage postcards, and illustrated tourist maps from the 1930, 40s, and 50s, I started out by designing the image for the front of the invitation card, I knew I wanted it to have a somewhat nautical theme and potentially incorporate a map of Wellfleet or Cape Cod. I also knew I would probably use watercolor to paint it. It took me quite a few different versions to finally come up with something I felt like really fit. Thankfully I had the help and guidance of my very helpful and objective friend LCM who gave me lots of creative input throughout the whole process. It is very exciting for me to now have them all finished, sent out and ready to share since I have been working on the project for the better part of a year.

For the actual card part of the invitation I wanted something with a deckle (rough) edge and a handmade look. I checked out a few different local art supply stores and websites but I couldn't really find anything I liked. After searching on Etsy, I found the store PulpArt which sells plantable handmade paper implanted with flower seeds. The shop owner worked with me to make a custom order of this beautiful cobalt paper.

I decided that since I had handwritten the outside of the invitation, I would also hand write the inside. I designed the writing, scanned it into my computer and printed it out on Alturo card stock paper and also bought matching envelopes in grey. I scanned the watercolor painting for the cover into my computer and had it printed. I then sewed each image onto the seed paper with my sewing machine.




No comments:

Post a Comment