Monday, April 20, 2015

Boston Marathon



I have lived long enough to have experienced grief in my life: loss of loved ones, mentors, friends and pets, 9/11 and, most recently, the Boston Marathon bombing. What I have learned about grief is that it is not linear. It does not necessarily lessen over time, but can ease up and then double back and hit hard when you least expect it.

I used to live just a few blocks off of Mass. Ave., in a neighborhood perpendicular to the middle of Hearthbreak Hill on the route of the Boston Marathon. Every year, my friends and I would walk over and watch the runners and cheer them on. I hope someday that that event, my old neighborhood and all that is the Boston Marathon can return to a place where we celebrate the event rather than looking over our shoulders. With the recent trial of Tsarnaev, I bet this year has that circling back of grief for many people. My heart is with you today, Boston.





No comments:

Post a Comment