Friday, December 5, 2014

Cuuuuute!!!


I will never forget the very first outdoor craft show I ever did, some time in the early 1990s. I had not done my research well and chose a pretty lousy show just because it had low fees. It was dead for the first hour or so and then a tour bus rolled up. I stood up straight and put a big smile on my face. A group of senior citizens got out for a bathroom break and a few wandered through and looked at the booths. Two of the women from the group came over and looked at my handmade papers. One of them picked one of my items up, then turned it over with a frown on her face. She turned to the other and said, "I could make this." Then, with what felt like disgust, she tossed it back on the table without ever looking at me. The other woman, hard of hearing, asked what her friend had said. Louder this time, "I COULD MAKE THAT. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY."

You have to have a thick skin when you do a craft show. (Remember my earlier post? "Creativity takes courage.")

Most customers are an absolute joy and I have even formed friendships with customers I met at my booth. But here's a very funny spoof video about what customers say at craft shows. (And it's kinda true!) Enjoy!


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGWjm13R7OI


No comments:

Post a Comment