Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Silent Night



I've been having a blast today playing with discarded weaving cones from a friend's weaving studio. In past years, I have used them to make Christmas tree toppers. That is, little pieces of art that you would put on top of your tree in place of a traditional star. Read more about last year's toppers here: http://paperandpulp.blogspot.com/2014/11/energy-begets-energy.html

This year I wanted to do something different for my artisans cooperative Christmas show so I used the cone as the base of a body and started making a nativity scene all in recycled paper - and handmade paper at that. It's not an easy thing to manipulate paper, especially the hands, which are thicker cast paper and can't be bent without cracking and breaking. But I really like how everything turned out. I just hope I don't end up keeping them for myself. I have way too much handmade Christmas stuff already…




No comments:

Post a Comment