Wednesday, June 15, 2016

WordPress and web sites



My aging mind has been quite challenged lately. I volunteered to work with a web designer to launch a long-overdo website for my artisans cooperative. Many of the members of the cooperative are older and don't value technology for marketing so I knew the only way we would have a website was if I grabbed the bull by the horns. But in truth, I also wanted to do it in order to challenge myself in a new way, and learn something about website design. The extent of my technology experience includes FaceBook, Etsy and my iPhone and I am not sure I use any of them to their full capacity.

It is a tricky thing to design a website that works for all aspects of a company or, in this case, group of artists. And it's even trickier to be add content on a regular enough basis so that Google doesn't ignore us and consider us a static web page. I learned a lot more about search engine optimization (SEO) and now I know what people are talking about when they refer to WordPress, the program that I had to learn to manage the website. I am enormously proud of it, and love my individual bio page:

http://www.valleyartisansmarket.com/martha-starke


I think the best thing I learned, though, is that there are aspects of your business that you have to outsource. Building a web page is definitely one of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment