Thursday, August 20, 2015

Pig Pen Theater Co.


After a vacation to beat all vacations, where I woke up every day to a new adventure, I realized I need more play in my life. So in order to balance my work life and the intense demands of a one-woman business, I have starting having one adventure every single week: go someplace new, try something new, eat something new… Last week it was seeing my new favorite band, Pig Pen Theater Company, who happened to be playing within driving distance.



I don't often gush about bands I have seen, but I really want to spread the word about these guys. They are 7 guys who graduated from Carnegie Mellon having studied theater. They began touring with an amazing shadow puppet theater production (and they are now completing a children's book) but took a little side path with a couple of folksy albums that I just love. Their performance has witty banter, breathtaking harmonies and an acoustic part where they come out into audience for a few songs. We were part of an audience that ranged from people in their 20s to 70s. They play in small venues - we saw them at MassMoCA in North Adams, Mass. - so it is an intimate feel, and after the show they hang out in the lobby to talk. See them!

http://www.pigpentheatre.com

And this is really cool: they just made their film debut in "Ricki and the Flash" starring Meryl Streep and Kevin Kline. They are the wedding band in the background!


Hear some of their music for free here: http://www.pigpentheatre.com/whole-sun-lp/

They even have a Ted Talk! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV5ZY-eAU9I


No comments:

Post a Comment