Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Necessity is the mother of invention



I checked in on how my exhibit is going and found that I have sold so many greeting cards that I have empty slots in my card rack. I need to get more but it takes time for the printing house to order the paper and print them. Then I have to pick them up, package them, price each one individually and get them into the card rack. In the meantime, I don't like an empty-looking card rack. Luckily, I had a bunch of garden-related quotes on index cards that were scattered throughout my show. I gathered them up, put them in the empty spaces in the card rack and now the spaces look purposeful and further the message of my pressed flower art. The feedback has been so positive that I may print the quotes on better paper, laminate them and keep them in the card racks from now on. Love an idea that springs from necessity!

Another artist sent me this email, and referred to the quotes, which meant the world to me:

Dear Martha,
I want to let you know how impressed I am with your show. First of all the Petal People are delightful and bring a smile. Every aspect of the exhibit shows careful preparation and execution - the window display, the humorous comments by each picture, the reflections on gardening so cunningly placed in the card rack, and the most unusual and creative guest book I've ever seen! Thank you for enriching the gallery this month.




No comments:

Post a Comment